Tuesday, April 22, 2008

No point "probing" Mahathir

Personally, Sarawak Headhunter thinks having a public enquiry on Mahathir would be a sheer waste of time and public funds, unless we have real solid evidence. If we did, then charge him in court.

Otherwise it would not be in the national interest. We would only be giving him yet another forum to propound his disgusting and self-serving views. Anwar should not make this mistake, no matter how much he would like to redeem himself.

If (or when) Anwar becomes Prime Minister and keeps to the straight path, he would already have redeemed himself. There is no need and indeed no better way to further humiliate Mahathir than to do better than him in all respects, and the latter is a not a difficult proposition, if one only has a conscience and the interests of the nation and its people at heart. The former will follow. Success is the best revenge.

While he was the mastermind, he certainly wasn’t alone. Many others were involved and you could blame practically every ruling party politician for complicity in the affairs of the 80’s and 90’s including Anwar.

Some of these characters are repentant and capable of reform, like Anwar – hopefully, and some not, like Mahathir.

Let history be the judge. And let history not repeat itself.

Mahathir (unlike Anwar, hopefully) is not a man who will regret anything he has done, even if found guilty. This is abundantly clear from his own public utterances. Even if he does regret, he will never admit it. His ego will not permit him to do so. Are we to believe anything he says then?

To paraphrase the Star report: “Asked whether he was ready to express regret over what he did to Anwar now that he has retired for several years, Dr Mahathir said: “Why should I regret? (I had my own survival to think about. Even if I did, why should I admit it?) He was arrested under the laws of the country. (Nobody would dare to arrest me! Not even Anwar. I made sure that there would be no evidence against me. All they have are all only opinions and conjectures, even if true.) He was tried in the courts of the country. (I made sure that I controlled most of the judges, especially the one who tried Anwar. Again, there is no evidence that I did so and I challenge anyone to produce such evidence.) Sentenced by court. (My court and my judge, but who can prove it?) If he was not wrong, no matter what you think about our judiciary, I don’t think he would have been sent to prison.” (Even if he was not wrong, I would have made sure that he would have been found guilty. I don’t see anything wrong with that. Of course I had to make sure that he was sent to prison. I was the nation and Anwar was a threat to the security of the nation. I decided that. How could I be wrong? All of you are wrong. So once again, why should I regret?)

Are we to believe that Mahathir was not an opportunist, a charge which he now levels at Anwar?
Are we to believe that Mahathir is not himself employing a political strategy to show that he has always been right, even if as he admitted himself, he was wrong in his choice of Abdullah (and even Najib, and all those before them, including Anwar).

“Nobody can say anything against him. (Of course nobody could say anything against me either when I was PM, but then I have always been right and he is wrong.) Newspapers report about how great he is. (They did the same about me but then I was really great and he is not.) His own supporters misled him into believing that if he holds elections before the end of his term, he would win a clean sweep. If you look at the record of his statements, he said he would win with zero opposition.” (I made sure I would win all the time, even when there was more than 50% opposition against me. Sure I cheated, but again prove it!)

On claims that his criticisms against Abdullah over the last few years had brought his successor down, he said: “I don’t see why I should not criticise wrongdoings by him.” (But don’t anyone dare say anything about my wrongdoings. I never did anything wrong.)

On why he picked Abdullah to replace him as Prime Minister, he said Abdullah was known as “Mr Clean”. (I thought he could keep me “clean” as well.)

How Abdullah deals with Mahathir now is up to him, but if he had any real backbone, he would expel Mahathir from UMNO. Mahathir would thus make history by having been expelled from both the Old UMNO as well as the New UMNO, as he rightfully deserves. What will he do, form a New New UMNO?

It is now time to cut out that gangrene known as Mahathir but also the gangrene that is affecting our whole nation called UMNO and its equally virulent offshoot BN. That will also take care of Abdullah and the rest of that poisonous gang.

No need to have a public enquiry after that.

Just get on with the task of rebuilding our nation.

Now THAT will make most Malaysians happy, even die-hard UMNO and BN supporters.

Al Tugauw
Sarawak Headhunter

1 comment:

chapchai said...

Heartening news in Malaysia today - Sabah BN MPs will cross over. Hopefully, some Sarawak MPs will do likewise. I am not in favour of party-hopping for personal gain, but if it is done for the greater good, i.e. a better Malaysia, then I'm all for it. In which case, the Opposition will form the government and, as you said, Al, the rest will follow. Let there be no witch-hunt; time and money has to be spent on working towards a fairer and more prosperous country of which ALL Malaysians can be proud.